« Home | The Bike Gods Send Warnings - How Not to Ride » | A Very Good Day » | Legs or No Legs - That was the Question » | Weekend Update » | Motivation Boost » | 2007 Sam's Club MS 150 Kick-off Party and Training... » 

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Rider #517

I went and picked up my ride packet yesterday, so you can now officially refer to me as #517. Along with my ride numbers, the MS 150 staff handed me a big plastic bag o' swag. Everything you see below: a water bottle, the obligatory ride t-shirt (just about the most attractive one in my ever-growing collection), some kind of lanyard (for when I get my press pass?), a small bottle of Purell hand sanitizer, a terry cloth sweat rag, several discount coupons from local bicycle retailers, an emergency rain poncho, a tube of sunblock lip balm, and a few basic first aid items in a blue plastic case.

The question mark on the orange packet toward the center of the pile is apt, because Cheryl and I were at a loss to positively identify its contents. Some sort of gum, certainly, but just gum? Analgesic gum (which would be cool)? Laxative (which would be not so cool)? Only the NTTA knows for sure, and they didn't leave any clues. Just the enigmatic question mark.

The bag also contained a pretty nice little insulated lunch bag, courtesy of Avonex (which I've learned is an MS therapy drug), but I forgot to put it in the pile and was too lazy to reshoot the picture.

Also missing from the pile are the three Champions of MS bandannas I received. I asked for one blank bandanna, which I plan to have signed by Gerry, Joe, and Barbara—Eileen too, if I meet her—but I guess the staffer heard me say I was riding for three friends and thought I was asking for three bandannas.

So I'm ready to roll. Ride numbers? Check. Bag o' swag? Check. New tires installed on the bike? Check, check. With just shy of 500 miles under my wheels for the year, the legs are feeling pretty good and by May 5 should be ready to go the distance.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home