« Home | Motivation Boost » | 2007 Sam's Club MS 150 Kick-off Party and Training... » 

Monday, March 19, 2007

Weekend Update

First of all, dear reader, let me assure you that this really is a team blog. It's just that the rest of the Wheeler Dealers are...
  • busy taking care of their families
  • retired (which, paradoxically, means they're quite busy)
  • out riding their bikes
  • just a bit shy
...and haven't got 'round to posting anything yet.

Friday

Sarah and her family hosted a team meeting at their house. In attendance were Bob, Cliff, Elizabeth, and I (along with our family members/support teams). The order of the evening was thick-crust, custom-made pizzas, masterfully prepared outside on the grill by Sarah's husband, along with fizzy soft drinks and adult beverages. Serving as official greeters as we arrived were Sarah's charming and precocious daughter and her best friend, who presented each of us with a freshly-picked dandelion.

This was only my second Wheeler Dealers team meeting, but already I'm gathering that the time I spent brushing up on Robert's Rules of Order would have been better spent riding. That's not to say that there was no business done, because we did spend a fair bit of time discussing who had legs and which team members would be best suited to ride together during the MS 150. It's just that there were no minutes to be read, and no one felt compelled to weigh down the mood with all that dreary business of moving this, seconding that, and tabling the other.

Saturday

For the first time this year, I went out on one of my favorite group rides. We rode 32 miles through the rolling countryside east of Plano, at a pace in the low 15s. The morning started out a little chilly, but by the first stop I was stripping off my tights and arm warmers and applying sunblock.

Sunday

I hadn't done any back-to-back days of rides with any significant distance so far this year, so I took advantage of an official MS 150 training ride sponsored and led by Richardson Bike Mart. The starting point was different from that of Saturday's ride, but at 35 miles and a 15.6 mph rolling average, the distance and pace were nearly the same and we traveled much of the same route. 30% of my total calories burned came from fat, and there was much rejoicing.

Both of the weekend's rides went well, and I largely avoided the hip pain that plagued me after the kick-off training ride. Still, the mild soreness in my legs is telling me that I still have a fair bit of work to do over the next month or so.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home